Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fun Class - A for Ant

This is the first phonics lesson for Chloe, I call it fun class.
We started with "A for Ant".
I spent some time to read through the lesson plan given by Jann, and practiced a bit on the nursery rhythm per the lesson plan. Jann had given me most of the material, but I added on a few things like the mystery box (made by empty tissue paper box), pictures of objects spelled after letter A.

(My materials on teaching A for Ant)

I started by singing the greeting song (click here) to her, for which I changed the song of "Good morning, good morning, to you to you and to you....." to "Good evening...." as our lesson was in the night. But Chloe find it funny as she sings "Good morning" in her Saturday class, she then told me "quiet", haha! Well, this did not discourage me, I showed her "A" and "a" printed on A4 paper, I then let her colour it. I let her take out the pictures in the mystery box, and said out each item when she took it out. She likes the part of taking the pictures out from mystery box, she kept digging till the last piece and I had to tell her 'no more'..... haha. I let her paste the pictures on the letter A paper.

Look at her happy face with her work:

I then sang a phonics song on letter A to her, which was something like "ants on my ankles A, A, A... x3, A is the sound of A..." as the title of the lesson is supposed to be "A for Ant". I cut out a picture of ant and pasted it on our ankles, she likes the song but she was distracted by the scissor :(

Chloe and her ant:


While colouring the "Ant", there was really an ant crawling passed her table, I took the chance to tell her, that's an ant.

I also let her colour the picture of the ankles, then paste the cut out ants on it, but she seem not interested, I probably got to buy more colouring material instead of let her use the crayon only.

I ended my lesson by singing the closing song of "The ants go marching", while I was dancing with the song, she was busy with her artworks and paper. I then told her to give me a hug, and say "thank you mummy". The lesson was shorter than I thought it would be, it was about 40 min only.

Well, the lesson did not turn out satisfactory, but I would not say it was a complete failure. Chloe was distracted here and there, not concentrating. This is my first lesson for her, I'll learn from the mistakes I had made, and hopefully there'll be improvements on the coming lessons, not only on her, but on me as well.

Her next lesson will still be on letter A, but it'll be "A for Apple"

Youtube link on the song "The Ants Go Marching"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZInmx5Z_j0&feature=related

Learning milestone: 2 years 4 months
 
47) Z for Zebra
 

18 comments:

Unknown on November 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM said...

trying out how to post a comment.
I like your blog and thanks for sharing.

Do you write the upper and lower case "a" by yourself? or printed somewhere? can you share the link?

learnthefunway on November 14, 2012 at 1:41 PM said...

Hi Sarah,
I print it out from word document, you can type it out and print :)

Unknown on November 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM said...

OH I see. What is the font and size you use? I find that the size is just nice.

learnthefunway on November 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM said...

hi Sarah,
give me your email address and I'll email a copy to you :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm so inspire by your blog! can i have a copy too? kcmtry@gmail.com

learnthefunway on April 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM said...

Hi,
Have emailed you :)

Jessly on June 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM said...

Hi,

You are amazing, I would like to start this fun class with my 30mo son... would you mind to give me some ideas? I would love to attend Jann class but I am based in KL... Can share how and where I can prepare the material? (jesslysim@gmail.com)

Many thanks

learn the fun way on June 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM said...

hi jessly,
I've emailed you :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Can share with me too? Thanks!
bbclosetsg@gmail.com

learn the fun way on October 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM said...

have replied :)

Anonymous said...

Hi

Came across your blog and was inspired to do your fun classes with my 18 mths old. :) can you share the resources via my email: happie31@hotmail.com? Thank you so much! Not many bloggers are willing to share... Appreciate your generosity!

Janice on July 11, 2014 at 4:42 PM said...

Hi my girl is coming to 2 years old. Interested in the activities that you are teaching ur kids. Could you mind sharing your materials via email jov19ial@gmail.com. thanks

Mummy TyDe said...

Hi,
Chance upon your blog very inspiring, to self teach my 28 MO.
I would luv to attend Jann class but really far and difficulty to arrange the time.
Can you share with me is a must to intro like 1 letter for 2 wks ?

learnthefunway on September 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM said...

Hi Mummy TyDe,
It depends on your child and the age. My kids like the craft very much thus I split one letter into 2 lessons, is ok to combine the craft into one single lesson :)

Eunice on November 12, 2014 at 10:02 PM said...

Love your blog! My girl is coming to 2 and I would love to start doing what you are doing with your :) how i wish I can join the class that you have attended!
Do you mind sharing some of the materials with me over email? My email is yenz80@yahoo.com.

Oh btw, what is the phonics song CDs and book which you are using for her? Eg you have mentioned "ants on my ankles aaa" love to buy them over on my end :)

Many thanks for your kind sharing!

learnthefunway on November 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM said...

Hi Eunice,
I'll write you an email :)

bakulkhankhetlal on June 12, 2015 at 7:49 PM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
reyyan said...

gümüşhane
bilecik
erzincan
nevşehir
niğde
FXNL

Post a Comment

Learn By The Fun Way!

Learning can be fun! Learning can be easy!

This blog is about a mother trying to bring joys and happiness to her kids while accompanying them in their learning journey......
You may read more here.

You're welcome to have healthy discussion here, do post your comments on my articles and share with me your views, leave me your contact or blog address!

If you like my fun classes, please like my Facebook page of "Learn The Fun Way"!
 

Learn The Fun Way Copyright © 2011 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template and web hosting